Guwahati, Nov 8: It was a series of planned explosions that were triggered by miscreants causing extensive damage to Lower Primary School at Upper Painom along the Assam-Mizoram inter-state border on Friday night.
Assam’s Special DGP (Border), Mukesh Agarwal who visited the blast-damaged school on Saturday along with Barak Valley Commissioner Mukesh Sahu and Cachar Deputy Commissioner Kirthee Jalli, said three explosions that caused extensive damage to the school had been triggered by miscreants in a systematic and planned manner.
He said inquiry was going on in connection with the blast. Agarwal said the school falls in Assam's territory and it was established in the year 2003 with around 30-40 students on its roll.
The top police official disclosed that the Government of Assam had requested the Central Government for instituting a probe by a Central agency into the earlier bomb blast that took place at Dholakhal LP School under Kulicherra Part Ii.
Agarwal said Seema Suraksha Bal (SSB) personnel have been deployed on the Assam side of the border and Border Security Force (BSF) personnel on Mizoram side and their role have been clearly defined by MHA. He exuded optimism that the deployment of Central forces would help in restoring normalcy.
He said that both the State and Central Governments were engaged in talks at the highest level to resolve the border row amicably.
Agarwal appealed to the people not to be provoked by the recent incidents as matters have been taken up at the proper and appropriate level for resolving the border imbroglio.
There was no casualty due to the blasts as the school was closed due to COVID-19. The school that falls under the Narsingpur education block of Cachar district receives mid-day meal under Sarva Siksha Abhiyan.