Dehradun , February 18 : Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the Uttarakhand government has decided to limit the Kumbh this year for 30 days, Chief Secretary Om Prakash said on Thursday.
The government will issue the notice by the end of March stating that this time Kumbh will be held from April 1 to April 30. The decision is taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19 infection, he added.
The state government has also emphasised reducing the duration of Kumbh as they fear becoming a hot spot of the virus.
Earlier, the Haridwar District Magistrate C Ravishankar said that pilgrims will need passes to attend Kumbh.
The Maha Kumbh is celebrated in a cycle of 12 years at four river-bank pilgrimage sites across India. The fair will conclude in the last week of April.