Guwahati, March 24: Twitter today said it is implementing significant product, policy, and enforcement updates to keep the service safe from attempts to manipulate the platform during forthcoming Assembly elections in Assam, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Puducherry.
Measures announced by Twitter are:
• A global cross-functional team with local, cultural, and language expertise will run the election integrity work.
• Proactive measures to prevent prohibited political advertising through comprehensive and nuanced enforcement mechanisms.
• Identifying and blocking ads from referenced candidates, parties, and other election-related content.
• Twitter will label synthetic and manipulated media and link it to a Twitter Moment to give people additional context and surface-related conversations so they can make more informed decisions on the content they want to engage with or amplify.
• When people attempt to retweet tweets with a synthetic and manipulated media label, they will see a prompt pointing them to credible information.
• These Tweets won't be algorithmically recommended by Twitter, which further reduces the visibility of misleading information.
• Twitter will also launch an events page dedicated to the assembly elections on voting days and for the election results day.
• The page will include a timeline of Tweets from credible accounts to provide the latest information on the days of voting and election results.