Guwahati, Jan 7: Alarmed as the rapid rise in COVID positive cases in the state since Jan 1, Assam government today issued a set of new SOPs to spread the spread of the virus amid concerns raised by the new variant called Omicron.
Assam Chief Minister, Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma in presence of the state Health Minister Keshab Mahanta announced that as precautionary measure from now onwards all the COVID positive cases in the state will be treated as Omicron and the state government will focus on ramping up testing and vaccination to protect people against the pandemic.
The Chief Minister announced the following set of new SOPs which is coming into force from January 8 morning:
1. Night curfew hours have been extended in the state from 10 PM to 6 AM and all business establishments, shops have to close down before 10 pm.
2. Covid test on arrival in Assam is mandatory for all air and train passengers who are either non-vaccinated or vaccinated with single dose. Children below 15 years of age will also be tested
3. Fully vaccinated air and train passengers will have ton under go COVD test after reaching home and if they are tested positive, they will have to report it by dialing 104 or at the NHM Citizen App. They may undergo test either using home test kit at the nearest Covid testing centre.
4. Offline classes upto Class VIII standard in all schools in Kamrup Metropolitan district and upto Class V in other districts in the state will be closed.
5. Off-line classes for Class 9, 10 and 11 will be held o rotation basis while Class 12 students can attend classes every day.
6. Wearing mask has been made compulsory and violation will lead to imposition of heavy fine.
7. Only fully vaccinated (with double dose) eligible persons will be allowed inside public places like hotels, cinemas, restaurants, bars, gyms, shopping malls, shops and all other business places. Violation of this norm will lead to heavy fine on the owner/ administrator of the place.
8. Only fully vaccinated employees will be allowed to attend government offices from January 15 and rest of the employees will be sent on no-work no-pay leave till they get fully vaccinated.
9. Only fully vaccinated passengers will be allowed in city buses and in all other public transport. Night buses will be allowed to ply during curfew hours only with fully vaccinated passengers and violation will lead to heavy fine upto RS 25,000 on the bus owner.
10. Districts administrations have been asked to close down al illicit liquor dens in the state.
Covid treatment in Assam’s government hospitals won’t be free anymore
The Chief Minister said that from now onwards Assam government will encourage home isolation for asymptomatic or mild-infection COVID patients to save hospital beds for serious patients as the governments fears much more hospitalisation during the current 3rd wave of the pandemic.
This time, however, barring serious patents and peents from BPL category, all other patients will have to pay for undergoing treatment in government hospitals, but not in Covid Care Centres. In Covid Care Centre, the inmates will have to buy food from the assigned canteen in the Centre.